bridging nursing communities : harnessing gaming technology : enriching patient experience
With many hospitals adopting a virtual or hybrid training and assessments in the last 2 years, learners are being exposed to more online training and assessments. Serious games are one such technology that is being presented as a viable option for such online training and assessment. Currently the training courses on serious design and development tend to be focused on game developers instead of the content experts. To help fill this void, and encourage learning, computational thinking, and fellowship, Serious Games Association and SingHealth Group Nursing are hosting a month-long TAP Game Design Challenge 2022. This virtual experience will enable nurses to learn more about game design & development and practice critical thinking in serious games project management to expand their training portfolios.
Through TAP-Challenge, we hope to be able to share what serious games is and the best practices for serious games design and development. After participating in TAP-Challenge, you should be able to:
- Explain what serious games are and the serious games eco-system
- Lead a project team for serious games design and development
- Develop a serious game storyboard
- Establish a scoring system for a serious game
- Understand the basics in serious games analytics
Winners of TAP Challenge 2022
Assessment and Management of Adverse Drug Reactions
Alex Huang, Christie Anna M.S., Adele Woon
National Cancer Centre Singapore
A serious game on adverse drug reactions (ADRs) provides a deliberate yet safe environment for nurses’ tasked to perform assessment, recognition and management of ADR. Adverse Drug Reactions (ADRs) can be severe and life threatening if not promptly recognised and managed. Nurses working in the ambulatory treatment unit (ATU) need to be competent in assessment and management of ADR to ensure patient’s safety. However ADR occurrence is unpredictable, therefore learning opportunities are on an ad-hoc basis. In particular, severe grades of ADR (Grade 3) is rare yet clinically significant. Prompt effective management is essential to ensure patient safety, however conducting in person training is challenging due to resources required, inability to simulate time-pressed situation and manpower considerations.
An engaging and realistic virtual game will be an effective and safe environment for nurses to gain exposure, practice and be competent in ADR management.
Siti Aisyah Kasim, Nadirah Tayib, Lum Sok Fun Patricia, Lim Jia Chi, Wang Dandan
Changi General Hospital, Singapore
In the year 2050, in the futuristic land of Singapore, advanced technology assists medical team to deliver care efficiently. A single-player is part of a medical team, which is activated for a national emergency (out of hospital setting). A low plane crash happened in Changi Airport where many causalities are in need of medical attention. Player’s mission in the game is to assist the assigned causality during the life threatening emergency situation. Player will need to complete stage mission before proceeding to the next level.
Wound Assessment & Management
Liew Siew Fun, Ng Siew Fam, Sim Yik Seng Maxwell, Yee Jia Jia, Chuar Shi Wei
University Tunku Abdul Rahman, Malaysia
Accurate wound assessment and effective wound management requires an understanding of the physiology of wound healing, combined with knowledge of the actions of the dressing products. It is essential that an ongoing process of assessment, clinical decision making, intervention and documentation occurs to facilitate optimal wound healing. The assessment and maintenance of skin integrity in the paediatric patient should be fundamental to the provision of nursing care. This serious games proposes collaboration between the nursing team and treating medical team to ensure appropriate wound management and facilitate optimal wound healing.
Serious Games Association
SingHealth Group Nursing
What are Serious Games?
Serious games are games that have another purpose besides entertainment. But what are serious games exactly? They are used to promote learning and behaviour change. Today, serious gaming is used in various areas such as education, healthcare, marketing and other businesses and industries. The strength of serious games is that they are entertaining, engaging and immersive. Serious games combine learning strategies, knowledge and structures, and game elements to teach specific skills, knowledge and attitudes. They are designed to solve problems in several areas and involve challenges and rewards, using the entertainment and engagement components provided when the user is playing games. Going beyond teaching and engagement, serious games are now used for assessment purposes. Through this competition, we want to show you how you could also design and develop serious games that could leverage on the game interaction data for teaching and assessments.
About the Competition
We are excited to provide nurses with an opportunity to design a serious game, no matter their specialty, seniority, or previous experience with digital tools.
To participate in the TAP-Challenge, follow the two-step registration.
- To encourage fellowship and collaboration, individual nurses can form teams of maximum five (5) or a minimum of two (2) persons. Not all team members must be nurses, only the team leader and co-leader must be.
- Each individual can only participate in one (1) team.
- The details for each member needed includes: (1) name, (2) organisation, (3) email address, (4) team role.
- [Compulsory] Each team will need to attend a 1-full day online training on Serious Game Design & Development (SGDD). The full day training will cover the basic understanding of serious games including game design and development.
- The one-full day training session is fully sponsored by SingHealth Group Nursing
- Attendance will be taken at the full-day training session. Absence from the training session will instantly disqualify the team.
- Each team will have 8 weeks to conceptualise their storyboard, using the given template, to clearly explain the purpose of the game, the expected learning outcome, the narration of their chosen content, the proposed game mechanics, and related game aesthetics.
- Each submission will be reviewed by a panel of judges. The teams will get a judges’ review of their submission and an opportunity to meet with the judges (if they chose to) to address any doubts they have on the comments made in the review.
- The winning submission will be fully funded by Serious Games Asia to develop their game storyboard into a serious game. The serious game will be co-owned by the winning team and Serious Games Asia and hosted in Health-TAP with full hosting fee waiver. Serious Games Asia will assist the winning team to integrate the experience into their online lesson plan.
In order to participate, please use the “Register Here” button below. The registration fees and workshop training fees are fully sponsored by SingHealth Group Nursing. All participating teams upon selected for the competition must be committed to attend the 1-day workshop.
Registration is officially closed due to overwhelming response!
Any questions regarding the competition can be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to your submissions!
07 March 2022: Registration opens
18 April 2022: Registration closes
21 May 2022: One-day fully virtual Serious Games Design and Development Workshop*
18 July 2022: Deadline for Serious Game Competition Submission
26 August 2022: Announcement of winner
*The Serious Games Design and Development Workshop will be conducted from 21 May 2022, Sat from 1000-1600. This is not a game programming or coding workshop but a serious game design and development workshop emphasizing on how to build a serious game storyboard for training and assessment.
Topics cover in the 1-day Serious Games Design and Development Workshop
- What are serious games and its misconceptions?
- What is a serious games eco-system?
- Understanding learning and motivational theories.
- Understanding the Serious Games Design Assessment Framework.
- Understanding what an evidence-based approach towards game design is.
- What is instructional scenario design?
- Linking learning objectives to assessment and analytics.
- What is serious game development?
- Understand avatars/environment and how they relate to user experience and interface?
- What is serious game project management?
- How to develop a Gantt chart using ADDIE?
- Understand what budget items are for game development.
- Be able to review of the Gantt chart.
- What are learning analytics, game analytics and game learning analytics?
- Understand innovative game technology – artificial intelligence, AR and VR.
The technical committee has identified the following competencies addressed in the challenge:
1. Create a conceptual design (30%)
- Establish a very clear purpose for the storyboard
- Define how a story will be told by levels, stages, and steps
- Describe the story with enough depth to communicate the final output accurately
- Clearly define the learning objectives for each stage and steps where appropriate
2. Describe and manipulate 2D, 3D, and audio computer generated assets (20%)
- Describe the artwork, in the graphics column, to better contextualise the story
- Describe any audio elements if necessary
- Unnecessary use of assets would be deemed as a discredit rather than a merit.
3. Develop and deploy appropriate interactive game mechanics (30%)
- Apply appropriate game mechanics for each assessment
- Add sounds and/or visual effects to enhance the quality of the user experience
- Describe any functional user interface that makes game play engaging
4. Understanding Framing & Motivation (20%)
- Define clearly who the target audience are
- Demonstrate how to capture and retain the audience’s attention and interest
- Achieve learning, familiarization, persuasion, or assessment capabilities
The Serious Games Association (SGA), a not-for-profit, volunteer-driven transnational society, aims to enrich learning experiences through harnessing game technologies and learning innovations.
At SingHealth, we employ more than 10,000 nurses, providing high quality care to patients across a range of settings from acute to community. SingHealth nurses continuously learn, grow and play a role in shaping patient care practices. Under SingHealth Group Nursing, the College of Clinical Nursing shapes and drives strategies for Clinical Nursing training; and leads the incorporation of innovative pedagogy methods to cater to evolving learning needs.
We have used serious games in both the training and competency assessment of our nurses; providing them with scenario based virtual immersive environments for them to practice and hone the skills of blood transfusion, detection of deteriorating patient, cannulation etc.
Since 2016, Serious Games Asia has been project-managing the development of digital training and assessment games. We work with the client to first identify the objectives and requirements of the game (be it knowledge acquisition, skills development and/or attitude change), before recommending the most suitable game developers, instructional designers, hardware/software engineers and subject matter experts from our network of partners. We are well-versed in helping our clients align their learning objectives with the game-play and assessment needs to create game environments which can help learners achieve their learning objectives. We understand the importance of incorporating real-time feedback that can be visualized immediately after the game session, to enable learners to recall their actions and thoughts, and connect it to their learning.
Health-TAP (referred to as the Healthcare Training and Assessment Platform) is a singular platform for:
- trainers to build engaging game-based digital courses
- learners to acquire skills anytime, anywhere.
Health-TAP offers a coordinated approach that enhances digital learning; empowers trainers to build and iterate content and courses quickly while at the same time rigorously measure outcomes. For learners, this is the platform that houses the digital resources to fuel their development and enables them to level up through continuous training and assessment.